Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

An Easel Card for the Frillie and Funkie Challenge Blog

The Challenge
Time for a new challenge at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog!  Suzanne is our host this time and her  challenge is to use marble, arches or columns on your project.  

Her words, "The current challenge is inspired by the month of August. In doing a little online research I learned that the month of August was re-named for Augustus Caesar. He was the first Roman Emperor and was very proud of the influence he had on the architecture of the country. For this challenge I am asking you to be inspired by marble, arches or columns. You will need to create a vintage or shabby chic project using some type of marble effect, arches or columns."


Easel cardMy Take on the Challenge
While pondering what to do for this challenge, I suddenly remembered a craze from a few years ago. Do you remember when arch shaped projects were popular?  I had tons of fun making arches as they are larger than ATC's and I find making ATC's to be a bit tedious, as there just isn't enough real estate for me to be creative.


I started out with a simple arch that is 5" wide and about 6 1/4" high that I cut from Graphic 45's beautiful Floral Shoppe collection.  Then I cut a larger arch to layer behind and used a corner punch to create the lacy look behind the arch.  (How to cut around a circle with a corner punch here.)  Then I dabbed embossing ink on the lacy edge and added Weather White embossing powder to break up the solid pink color.


Easel Card

On the front I added some pretty lace to give it a feminine touch to go along with the pretty Little Birdie flowers.  Next I added a set of arched chipboard doors.  I heat embossed the doors with Emerald Creek Charred Gold and Ancient Amber embossing powder.  (Stop by the Frilly and Funkie Blog August 4th, where I'll be doing a Saturday Showcase featuring ways to use embossing powders!)

The quote that is layered over the arched doors is cut from an ephemera card from the Floral Shoppe collection.

Easel Card

I topped my arch with this pretty silver filigree piece and then altered it with first Ancient Amber and then Weathered White embossing enamel.  You can also see the effect of the embossing enamel on the lacy cardstock layer in this closeup shot.


All that was left to do was add some flowers and ribbon to my arch and it's done.  Oh but wait...

The arch sure would be pretty on a card!  And so, the arch is now the front of an easel card.  I made a 6" square easel card base and simply glued the arch to the cardstock base.  (If you want to learn how to make the easel, here's a tutorial for making an easel card.)  Inside the card, I added a layer of design paper and a piece of chipboard that serves to hold the easel in place.  This makes such a pretty display!

Here's a template for making an arch if you want to give it a go,  they really are fun to make.  You can see some other arches I've created here and here.

How to Enter the Challenge
Now it's time for you to have some fun with this August challenge!!  Create a vintage or shabby chic project using marble, arches or columns and link it up to the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog.  If you win, you'll have an opportunity to be a Guest Designer here at Frilly and Funkie!  We also award Top 3 Badges for three further outstanding entries, chosen by the Design Team, because we can’t pick just one favorite!

AND, everyone who enters and follows the rules for the challenge is entered into a draw to win a $25 spending spree at The Funkie Junkie Boutique. Woo-hoo!

You have until 11:59PM EDT on Tuesday, August 14th to link your project.





12 comments:

  1. Maggi, what a wonderful take on the challenge! Your shabby card is delightful, and I appreciate all your embossed elements, especially that magical door! Genius move to mix your EP's! I checked out your technique on using a corner punch to make the lacy look on a circle, and now wishing I hadn't gotten rid of all those lacy punches! Brilliant design, Maggi! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful arched easel card! Love how you incorporated that into the design and then added the secret door that emulates the arched design as well. Wonderful shabby chic card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is exquisite, so many details brought together into an easel card that is a keeper for anyone to receives it. tfs your beautiful crafting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, your comments always brighten my day! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Love your very frilly fancy fold card with multiple arches. The colour palette and florals are so pretty and look fabulous with the iron gate.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  5. layers and layers of frills and surprises—really special card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those embossed chipboard doors are amazing! I really like that you made this an easel card, so fun to display your gorgeous work! I made several easel cards not too long ago, got started and couldn't seem to quit, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Barb, easel cards are so fun!

      Delete
  7. The embossing on this gorgeous easel card really works so well with the touches of lace! Love it Maggi xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...