Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Using Unconventional Materials to Make Journals for Eileen Hull Designs

Good morning friends, I have a fun project to share with you today.  This month Eileen Hull's designers are creating with unconventional products.  I chose to make a Passport Book.  Can you guess what I used for my cover?



I used plastic packaging, you know, that stuff we usually throw away!  This is simple; all you need is an embossing folder, plastic, cardstock and matboard (or chipboard).  First I cut the plastic down to size and ran it through my die-cut machine with an embossing folder.  Next I die-cut the embossed piece with the Passport Book die. 

Then I adhered black cardstock to matboard and ran that through my diecut machine using the Passport Book die.  I applied adhesive to the black cardstock and adhered the plastic embossed piece to it.  I found that I got the best embossed impression by embossing the plastic without being adhered to anything else.
 
Now that you have the 3 parts (platstic, cardstock and matboard) assembled, its time for some fun!  I used new products from Sizzix, Luster Wax, to color the plastic.  You just rub it on with your finger.  I blended two colors, rose gold and gold.  It is permanent once dry, and doesn't come off on your fingers.  

I waited a few minutes for it to dry and then misted heavily (like allover!) with black ink so that the ink could fill in the crevices and really give the embossed impression definition.  Use a paper towel to blot up the ink  

I love the look of the Luster Wax on the covers of this Passport Book!





Inside the book, I used Eileen's new Bookbinding Die to attach pages inside.  This die creates 5 hinges to which you attach your pages.  I just made some simple pages to go inside.










Products Used





Plastic from Packaging

Black Mist


Time to play!  Be sure to post your unconventional projects on the Eileen Hull Fan Club Facebook page.

Thanks for popping in!

xoxo Maggi



11 comments:

  1. I love this Maggi! Who would guess the cover is plastic "trash"? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that little Passport die—using the bookbinding die with it—cool. Thanks for giving the steps. It’s storming here so i’m going to snuggle in my studio and try it. Unconventional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go Billie! Thanks for leaving a comment. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Maggi this is fabulous! The wax really makes those clocks pop and there is no way I would have guessed that this book was made from plastic that was headed for the trash bin. Great choice of pages inside too - as always they look so professional x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Jenny! You are so kind to leave such a nice comment. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing and inspiring! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an amazing make - who’d have thought that it was using plastic destined for the bin! Fabulous !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...