Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Graphic 45 Rare Oddities altered cookie tin tutorial

It's October and it's time for some spooky fun with Graphic 45's Rare Oddities!  Really, what could be more fun than altering a cookie tin and getting all messy?  Believe me, before this project was finished I had paint, glue and mist all over me, my desk, the floor,  and everything near by including the poodles!

Watch my video for the process for creating this fun tin!




To make this tin, I started by painting it with black gesso, then I dribbled on some paint.  Next I applied a lot of different mists and sometimes dried between colors and sometimes not, as I wanted the colors to bleed together.  I sprayed the tin with Krylon Fixative so that the colors wouldn't bleed any further when I painted on the matte medium that I used to glue down the paper strips, frame, and Mr. Bones. 

The frame behind Mr. Bones, is diecut and then heavily embossed with gold and black embossing powders.  I also sprayed the center to make it a darker green.  It really was cut from Articles of Antiquity paper but that's hard to see!

I made all the flowers with the exception of a few small black roses.  I used some scraps and pages from the 6 x 6 Patterns and Solids pad.   You can make your leaves and vines look more realistic by dabbing on some mists or water colors to give them a varied colored appearance as I have done to my vines.  I dabbed on an olive mist and then tipped the leaf ends with a dark red mist.

This is the tin I used; you could use any other tin you have on hand.  









Here is a list of supplies that I used.  It is long BUT, you need not use the exact things that I used.  Whatever mists, paints, etc. that you have will probably give you a similar effect.  The idea here is to get out all those mists and paint and play, have fun, make a mess!

Supplies:
Graphic 45 Rare Oddities collection:
Brews and Potions (12 x 12) 4501144 - bat and book strips
Articles of Antiquity (12 x 12) 4501147 - diecut behind skeleton
Ghostly Greetings (12 x 12)  4501148 - flowers
Cabinet of Curiosities (12 x 12) 4501149 - skeleton fussy cut
6 x 6 Patterns & Solids 4501151 - flowers and vines
Tags & Pockets 450160
Decorative Chipboard 4501154
Journaling Chipboard 4501155

G45 Staples Claw Feet 4501027
G45 StaplesDoor Knockers 4501028
G45 Staples Stamped Metal Brads 4500422

Other:
Pepperidge Farms cookie tin
Black gesso
Izink opaline, gold
Shamrock green acrylic paint
Silks Vavoom Red
Heidi Swapp Chartreuse mist
Prima mists:  Empress Gold, Pressed Petal
Dylusions Funky Fuschia mist
Lindy's mists: Cajun Carnelian Red, Golden Lump O' Coal, Gator Gumbo Olive
Shimmerz Vibez Snow Storm
Liquitex Matte Medium
Krylon Workable Fixatif
Prima Static stencil
Art-C Gold embossing paste
Stampendous embossing enamel: aged gold, aged black
La La Land large rolled rose die
Spellbinders Romantic Vines die
Sizzix Alterations Tattered Floral die
Paper Arts Bodacious Blooms die
Tim Holtz Ideaology corked vials
Prima Glass Beads - plum
ColorBox G45 Decades Antique Moss ink
Ranger Distress Ink:  Rusty Hinge, Black Soot
Really Reasonable Ribbon green gingham check

Every year I host a mini camp at my house and have a project for everyone to make.  This year the girls made this cookie tin.  Here is Kathi's tin.





Here's Peggy's tin!  Love that the girls were able to follow the video tutorial and create their own tins!




Thanks so much for stopping by today!  I know this was an extra long post, hope you enjoyed it.  These tins were so much fun to make, give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...