Pages

Monday, May 25, 2020

Eileen Hull's Trinket Box

This is just the best time of the year, even with this nasty virus business.  It is so invigorating to walk outside and enjoy warming weather.   We live on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee so spring arrives later than it did for us in NC  and I am so enjoying that!  It would be hot by this time at our old residence.

We did a little landscaping here at our new house last fall and it has been fun to take my daily tour of our yard and see what has bloomed.  The rhododendron was spectacular, definitely one of my favorite things!

So all this spring weather and spring flowers inspired me to make a feminine flowered trinket box.  I used Eileen Hull's Sizzix ScoreBoards Trinket Box, Book and Frame die to make this floral delight.

Tutorial

Cut the pieces as shown in this photo.  Note that I cover both the front and back sides of the matboard before die-cutting.  I cut my paper and then apply Eileen's Adhesive Sheets to the design paper (I am using Graphic 45's Fruit and Flora collection,) and then apply to the matboard.  I find that if I apply the adhesive to the matboard, it tends to peel off a layer of the matboard when I peel away the backing from the adhesive sheet.  I am using the green patterned side on the outside of the box and the other pattern and solid on the interior.  Be sure you place the side you want on the outside face down on the die.



Ink the edges and the fold seams as desired.  I find that a Faber-Castell Big Brush pen works really well for inking in the seams BUT you have to be REALLY careful that the pen doesn't slip!





Join the two side pieces together forming a rectangle.  I like to cut away one of the side flaps so that the box sits flat on the bottom.  Apply two sided tape to the flaps.  I like to use Eileen's Red Liner tape as I think it holds better than Scor-tape but I ran out.  Scor-tape works and for this application it'll be fine.  (It's when I'm making journals that I really like the Red Liner tape.)

This photo shows the box sidewalls upside down and assembled with one side flap removed.


Cut away the corners of the smaller vertically scored rectangle piece (bottom right piece in the photo above) as shown in the photo below.  This is so that the side assembly will sit flush on the bottom. Adhere the scored rectangle to the bottom of the box as shown.



Adhere the wall assembly to the bottom of the box being sure to keep the box corners at a right angle and placing the side with the flap cut off over the attached scored piece.  Then adhere the top of the box to the other side of the scored rectangle.  Adhere the floor inside the box.




Now you have your basic box assembled and it's time for the fun part, embellishing!  I used a cut-apart from the collection and lots of flowers.  The darker solid pink flowers are handmade and I used Eileen's Thinlits Journaling Cards, Flowers and Leaves Set to cut the flowers.  I inked them up, gave the petals a twist with my tweezers, and stacked them.  Then I punched a hole in the center and added purchased floral stamens.



This is a perfect box for gifting, I think I'll give it to myself!!

3 comments:

  1. so pretty Maggi! I love it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to try putting adhesive on the paper first—it’s critical that something useful stays together. The assembly tips are genius—trimming the base and corners will add a fine touch. Thanks for sharing all these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips for assembling the box Maggi, especially trimming off that piece so it sits flush! Beautiful flowers too with the stamens peeking out- so professional <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...