Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Vintage Styled Layout Tutorial for Little Birdie Crafts


Hello Little Birdie Crafts fans!  I am thrilled to be back with my second post as a guest designer for Little Birdie.  If you missed my first post, a step card tutorial, you can view it here.   Today I am sharing a heritage layout with you AND a tutorial where I'll show you how to make this layout and the floral vine.

A Vintage Style Layout

I am using a vintage photo taken in the early 1940's during WW II on this layout. Vintage layouts are some of my favorites.  To achieve a vintage look, think muted colors, browns, creams, the softer color palette.  Torn edges and papers add an authentic look.  I always think to myself, what would something look like if it had been created 50 years ago and had been handled by many people?  The edges would be ragged, perhaps a few tears and stains, these looks characterize the vintage look.





Tutorial

Step 1:
I like to save every scrap of paper that I can, so when you see a paper on top of another paper, you can believe that I have cut the center out of the back paper!  So for the first layer, trim a 1" frame from a  12" x 12" paper.
  
Step 2:
For the next layer, trim a 12 x 12 paper to 11 ¾" x 11 ¾" and distress the edges.  Then use the Script Stencil to stencil on some words.

 Step 3:
Tear contrasting strips of paper and layer as shown in the photo below.


 Step 4:
Now let's make a floral vine to use on our layout.  Take 5 small wire stemmed roses and twist 3 roses together.  Next, twist two roses together.  Now glue the two sets of roses together as shown in the photo.  You can twist the ends of the two sets together.   




Step 5:
Glue some greenery from the flowers along the wire stems. 
 Step 6:
Select 3 larger flowers to use in the center.  Trim away excess cardboard so that it doesn't show beneath the flowers.  There you have a pretty vine that will look lovely on your layout!



  
Step 7:
Add the floral vine to one side of the photo and arrange more flowers on the opposing side. 


  



Now add a title and any other embellishments you like.  Now you have a beautiful keepsake heritage layout.




Thank you for joining me a Little Birdie Crafts today!

Supplies Used from Little Birdie Crafts

Flowers - Rosalind Swiss Coffee
Flowers - Pauline Swiss Coffee
Flowers - Daisies Swiss Coffee

Other Supplies
Maja papers:  Frost Basics, Vintage Romance, Vintage Summer

Thanks for stopping by today!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Goodness! This is truly STUNNING! You did a great job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cards are exquisite, Maggi. These papers are delightful--they offer so many possibilities for designing cards. tfs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...