Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Travel Card for the latest Frillie & Funkie Challenge

Hey ya'll!  (That's what we say here in the South 😊) It's time for a new challenge at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog.  I love to see you over there.  The challenges are always fun and open to your interpretation.  The best thing is you can make what you want, i.e. it could be a tag, card, layout, 3D, whatever you like!

Kathy Clement is our challenge host this time around and she's thinking about all the great summer travel.  The challenge is to create a vintage or shabby chic travel themed project. Think folded maps, cruise ships, road signs, compasses, passports, trains, planes or automobiles. As long as your project features a travel theme, you're headed in the right direction.

My travel themed card

Travel card and tag,
I started thinking about air travel, and from there, my mind went to Kitty Hawk, on the coast of North Carolina, where the Wright Brothers made their famous first flight.  That led me to thinking about how you have to believe in what only seems impossible, and then, have the courage to make the impossible reality.   With all those philosophical thoughts running around in my head, I ended up with an inspirational travel card!

Travel card and tag,

The card has a hidden tag on the front made from a Graphic 45 regular tag.  I stamped a motivational message on a scrap of map paper with a stamp from Tim Holtz's Mini Motivation stamp set and adhered that to the tag.  At the bottom of the tag I used a words sticker that I've had forever.  Nice to use that little bit of my stash!



Travel card and tag,
The tag slips nicely behind one of the layers into a hidden pocket on the cover.  On the back of the tag you can add a photo or message.  The bow on the tag nicely complements those pretty Little Birdie flowers, I love the Swiss Coffee color of the blooms.


Travel card and tag,
The cover has two layers from the Memoranda paper stack by Tim Holtz.  I stenciled some texture paste on the lighter layer to add some interest.  Then I used washi tape to outline the layer creating a frame of sorts.  The next layer is popped up with foam tape and is a die-cut map paper, just visible at the top and bottom of the clock.  I topped that with a chipboard frame that I heat embossed with Emerald Creek Baked Texture Ancient Amber.  Now take a good look at the next layer, that gorgeous die-cut clock!  I used Tim Holtz gold Metallic card stock and Graphic 45's new Square Tag and Clock Dies.  I love the detail on that clock die and it looks so fabulous cut from the gold paper!  The flying clock key is symbolic of my thoughts, that time is passing so quickly, you have to enjoy life and act on your beliefs, it's all an adventure, go for it!



Travel Card & Tag
I added a rub on from Tim Holtz's Life Quotes right over the vintage airplane photo.

Travel card and tag,

I used a piece of French Vanilla card stock for my card base and inside I added cuts from Tim's Memoranda pad.  Then, at the bottom right, I added another rub on from Life Quotes and on the left I added a really ancient burlap tag from my stash.


How to Enter the Challenge
Now it's time for you to have some fun with this challenge!!  Create your travel themed project and link it up to the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog.  If you win, you'll have an opportunity to be a 
Guest Designer here at Frilly and Funkie!  We also award Top 3 Badges for three further outstanding entries, chosen by the Design Team, because we can’t pick just one favorite!

AND, everyone who enters and follows the rules for the challenge is entered into a draw to win a $25 spending spree at The Funkie Junkie Boutique. Woo-hoo!

You have until 11:59PM EDT on Tuesday, July 31st,to link your project.





Thanks for stopping by today!


20 comments:

  1. Wow, Maggi! I love where your imagination traveled for this challenge. This card is gorgeous! I love your use of the Square Tag Dies here. So elegant, but with a hint of a steampunk feel, too. That hidden tag is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathy, it was a fun challenge, I love it when my brain goes into philosopher mode!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I love that hidden tag adding that beautiful bow. Gorgeous design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun card with a surprise hidden in plain sight. Focusing on the flight of the Kitty Hawk is perfectly vintage. Love the die cut and winged key on the front.

    I am forever grateful to the Wright brothers because it means I get to travel further and further from home. Now if someone could just get them to come back and tell the current airlines to stop trying to pack so many in the planes - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cec and yes, much gratitude to the Wright Bros for their perserverance!

      Delete
  4. flying clock key—intricate gold clock—Time IS precious. This is an enchanting card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Maggi, love the clock feature. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fancy card Maggi - especially that hidden tag! The Wright Brothers would be honored to be your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love your travel themed card Maggi! The layers create so much depth and what inspiration you chose! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maggi, your travel themed card is sensational! I do love that clock die, and have been wanting to add it to my stash ever since I spied it on Kathy's blog. It looks amazing in the metallic card! I love all your details and the hidden tag/pocket feature, and of course, your thoughts on how this came together! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your kind comments, thanks so much!

      Delete
  9. The metallic doily clock with it's steampunk key centre is a stunning centrepiece to this beautiful card Maggi. Love the whole nod to vintage travel in this xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderfully detailed card, and I love the hidden tag. Beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...