Pages

Monday, February 25, 2019

Graphic 45 By the Sea

I am so thrilled that By the Sea is back as as a Deluxe Collector's Edition!  I'm going on a cruise the end of March so I made this Traveler's Journal styled mini to preserve my vacation memories.  


The Collection includes a page of cut-aparts printed on both sides.  I used these to embellish the front and back covers of my journal.  Layer up the cut-aparts with other design papers for a stunning presentation  Tip:  Give your cover that "extra" look by popping up the cut-apart with dimensional foam tape.  Or, to save on supply costs, use cardboard as a backing to pop it up.

Another cut-apart tip: This collection includes design paper that is printed on both sides with the same sized cut-aparts.  Just cut the paper in half horizontally, fold accordion style and you have an instant pull out page.

This journal is wider than many at 1 1/2" wide.  I started with Eileen Hull Designs by Sizzix journal die and cut two journal covers.  Instead of assembling using just the two covers,  I made a spine by cutting a piece of chipboard 1 1/2" wide and the same length as the journal covers.  Then I glued the two journal covers to the spine side by side. (The spine should fit perfectly between the outer score lines where the covers fold.) Cut another piece of thin (like shirt packaging) cardboard and glue to the inside of the spine.  This makes the spine nice and strong. Use a Crop-a-dile to punch holes in the spine using the already die-cut holes as a guide.  At this point string the elastic as you do for an Traveler's Notebook styled journal.  Here's a link to a traditionally made Traveler's Notebook using Graphic 45's Imagination Collection.  

I've recorded a video flip through of the mini so that you can see all of the pages.


I used a simple design on the back cover, using another cut-apart, so that the journal would store easily.


 Instead of wrapping the journal with an elastic band, I used long lengths of seam binding.  You can either wrap ribbon around the journal as I have done in the above photo, or simply tie it and let the long ribbon tails dangle as in the top photos.

 This journal will hold 4 signatures but I have only included 3 so that there is lots of room inside.  The signatures are the individual books inside this journal and they are quickly bound inside with elastic thread that is secured to the book's spine.

Tip:  If you don't want the elastic to show on your outer spine, cut a piece of chipboard to fit the spine, cover with design paper and glue to fit over the spine.  Add a fun chain of charms as an embellishment.




I am so crazy about Graphic 45's new Rose Bouquet Collection!!  The ones I used here are Bon Voyage & French Blue, aren't they just fabulously gorgeous and so perfectly matched to G45's colors.  The flowers also come with the greenery you see underlying the roses. 

Graphic 45 Supplies:

Graphic 45 By the Sea Collector's Edition
Staples ATC Tags Kraft
Staples Large Tag, ATC Tag and Flower Dies
Staples Rose Bouquet Collection—Bon Voyage & French Blue
Decades Ink - Bon Voyage Blue, Triumphant Red


Other Supplies:

Eileen Hull Designs by Sizzix Journal Die
Chipboard
Snug Hug Rust Seam Binding
Metal Charms - The Funkie Junkie Boutique

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful Maggie! I love this G45 theme too. Journal looks great! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, this is such a great collection!

      Delete
  2. love the spine idea—you ARE going to need lots of room for your cruise mementos! this journal is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Billie, yep, will need lots of room for all the shenanigans the gals are bound to get up too. :-)

      Delete
  3. Do you have a tutorial for this?? It is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, no, not for this particular mini, but here is a link to a similar journal, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGpXNwq9cDA.

      Delete
  4. Lovely little journal. I do like those papers. Summertime is coming, I hope. Thanks for sharing this one Maggi :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...