Pages

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Mon Amour Travel journal and a tutorial!


I love making these fun journals!!  I think I'm addicted.  For this one, I used Sizzix's Eileen Hull Scoreboard XL Travel Journal die to cut the covers.  The thing I love most about these journals is that they are really quick to make as the inner pages are bound in with elastic bands, QUICK EASY!  My idea of a good time!
The Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog hosts bi-weekly challenges and I made this for their With this Ring challenge.  The challenge is to create a vintage or shabby chic project that celebrates the big day.
I think this journal fits the bill as it could be used for so many things, organizing before the wedding, a honeymoon journal, a place for photos and memories from the big day, there are so many possibilities.

 I found my die at The Funkie Junkie Boutique last week and alas, I think they're already sold out, again.   But, if you're looking for one, you can asked the store to email you when they are back in stock.

I've put together a photo tutorial of how I made this; just scroll down for the tutorial.  But, first a few photos inside.

Now remember I said I loved this because it was quick and easy?  Yep, for the insides, I just purchased 3 notebooks that I inserted under the elastic bands.  There are 3 notebooks, 64 pages each I believe.  The notebooks are all different, one is ruled, one is plain, and the last one is graph paper.  These notebooks are so popular that you can find them most anywhere.  The covers are craft and I just covered them with design paper from Graphic 45's Mon Amour collection.

I added a chipboard Love piece from Creative Embellishments on the inside cover and colored it with Prima Metallique Wax.






TUTORIAL

This tutorial covers the techniques and products I used to make the journal. You can find the instructions for assembling the journal here.

Supplies used for this tutorial:
Chipboard
Sizzix ScoreBoards XL Die - Journal
Black gesso
TCW416 Stencil Grunge Hearts
Prima Texture Paste - White Sand
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks:  Iced Spruce, Fired Brick, Fossilized Amber
Prima Color Bloom mist - Empress Gold
Prima Metallique Wax - Vintage Gold
Petaloo Gypsy Rose Branch - Rose 5014-161
Petaloo Magnolia Mix - Blush 5015-311
Graphic 45 Mon Amour collection paper, chipboard, and stickers
Creative Embellishments word "love"

Step 1:
Cut a front and back cover from chipboard with the Sizzix journal die.  paint both outside covers with black gesso.  The inside covers will be covered with design paper, so no need to paint those.  The book edges will be waxed with Prima wax.


Step 2:
After the gesso dries, randomly mask on some hearts with modeling paste and let that dry completely.


Step 3:
Then dab with Distress Oxide inks randomly on the cover.  You can dabble one color at the time or several colors.  There's no right way or wrong way to do this.  Just dab away.
Step 4:
After dabbling on the inks, lightly mist with water and dry.  If you don't like the result, you can use a moist paper towel to remove some of the color.  Repeat this process until you are pleased with the result.
Step 5:
Now mist with Prima Color Bloom mist in Empress Gold.  I misted mine quite heavily as I wanted that gold to shine through.  After the mist dried, I added a bit more Oxide ink.

Step 6:
Do the outside of both the front and back covers. 

Step 7:
Rather than using an elastic band to hold the journal closed, I used a diecut clasp. (Part of the Journal die)  I used vintage gold Prima Metallique Wax to color the clasp which is attached with a gold brad.  Then I used velcro on the inside of the clasp and back cover to hold it closed.

Step 8:
Diecut paper for the inside covers and glue securely.  I misted the inside of the cover with gold mist so it is important to have a good bond between the paper and journal surface.  The paper will pucker very little if you adhere with glue stick or liquid adhesive applied to the entirety of the paper.

After you are satisfied with both the inside and outside covers, bind the covers together following the instructions provided by Sizzix.  In the center of the photo, I've applied 1/4" scor-tape for adhering the front cover to the back.



Inside cover after misting and binding.
Step 9:
Now go around the edges of the journal and rub on some vintage gold  Metallique Wax.  It only takes a little bit and you can apply with your finger or a stiff brush.
Step 10:
That's it, ready to embellish.  I added chipboard and a sticker from the G45 Mon Amour collection.  Then I used Petaloo's Petaloo Gypsy Rose Branch and Magnolia Mix flowers to embellish the cover.


I love it!  It's vintage, grungy, and shabby all at the same time.  

Thanks for joining me today!




9 comments:

  1. Love your journal Maggie! I ordered this die from Funkie Junkie. Can't wait for it to arrive!! TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this and what a fantastic tutorial Maggi! Thank you so much for sharing your talents xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggi, your journal is incredible, I love how you created layers with the Gesso, inks and sprays. The toppers are beautiful, as are the lovely flowers! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great tutorial Maggi- love your journal so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Eileen, and thanks for designing such a fun die!!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous journal and so perfect for our challenge at Frilly and Funkie "with this ring". Gorgeous design! Thanks for joining us this week at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Maggi! This is a scrumptious project, which inspires me so so much! I love that you used DP for the insides and kept the mixed media to the cover. That makes me think I can get started on one of these books without so much pressure to create page after page before completion. I love the books to death, but they seem daunting! Oh no, not to you! You really created a gorgeous cover, which works beautifully with the G45 paper inside. I love the darker color and gorgeous grungy details. We are so thrilled to have you play along with us at Frilly and Funkie. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggi, this is a work of art! I love the mixed media on the cover with the embossed hearts peeking through. You are right..it has a great grungy, shabby vintage vibe all rolled into one. This would make a great wedding memory book. Thanks so much for sharing with us at The Frilly and Funkie "With This Ring" challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...