Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

Fabscraps Oh Sew Beautiful

My Mother was an incredible seamstress and tailor until Rheumatoid Arthritis robbed her of the ability to use her hands to the degree required for intricate sewing.   When I was a teenager, I dreamed of being a fashion designer and my Mom would make my designs come to life.  She had such a talent with a needle and thread.  She even made my wedding dress.  I was living in Florida at the time and she was in NC.  She just mailed pieces to me for fitting and I would mail them back to her.

I wish I had a photo of her at her sewing machine,  That really makes me think of the importance of capturing those kinds of photos.  It may seem so inconsequential now, but in years to come, someone will cherish that photo of you doing something you love and that everyone will think of when they remember you.  For me, one should capture me in the kitchen cooking a big family meal!  What picture of yourself do you think someone would really cherish?

Fabscraps Oh Sew Beautiful is a gorgeous paper line and its chipboard sewing machine that I used on this layout is perfect to accompany my journaling about my Mom's talent.  I've put the journaling on the back of the page as it just didn't fit on the face.

 All of the roses on this page are handmade rolled roses.



Love the chipboard sewing maching and title.  The machine is painted with Silks and the title is heat embossed.

This collection includes a couple of chipboard and diecut paper dressforms that I really love!
For this project you will need:

  • Fabscraps Oh Sew Beautiful paper collection:  C68  002, 006, 008
  • Chipboard pieces Sewing Machine DC68 010, Title Oh Sew Beautiful 005, Mannequin 0013
  • MC68  001A Journal piece to fit Mannequin 0013
  • Ranger Gold Paint Dabber
  • Silks Vavoom Red
  • Dripping mediums, I used Ayeeda Ink Bordeaux and Izink gold
  • Pumice Stone Distress Ink
  • Masks - white and gold masking paste.  I used Shimmerz Tidy Widy and Studio 490 metallic gold
  • Martha Stewart corner punch Deco Fan or something similar

Instructions:

  1. Dab gold paint all around edge of sheet 006.
  2. Do some random masking on sheet 006 with a white masking paste.  Set aside to dry.
  3. Cut an oval from sheet 008 6" x 9", distress and ink the edges.  Mask around the edges using gold masking paste.  Set aside to dry.
  4. Cut another oval from sheet 002 7" x 10", cut an oval from the inside of this oval 4" x 7", distress the edges of the small oval.
  5. Punch around the larger oval (7" x 10") with a Martha Stewart corner punch, I used Deco Fan.  Ink the edges.
  6. Cut a piece of cardboard slightly smaller than 6 x 9 and adhere it to the 6 x 9 oval.   Layer this over the punched 7 x 10 oval.  Now adhere the smallest oval in the center of the larger oval. 
  7. Adhere the Mannequin journal piece 001A to the matching  Mannequin chipboard piece 013.  Ink the edges.
  8. Position the Mannequin chipboard on the right side of the oval and use foam tape to stand it off the oval.
  9. Frame a small photo and adhere on the left side of the oval, again using foam tape.
  10. On the right side of the base sheet 006 add some drips about half way down.  Set aside to dry.
  11. Paint the Sewing Machine chipboard piece 010.  I first painted it black and didn't like that so I painted over it with Silks Vavoom Red.  The black paint underneath gives it a dark appearance without being such a stark black color.
  12.   Paint the title chipboard piece 005 using the gold paint dabber.
  13. Adhere the oval to the left side of the page as shown.
  14. Use foam tape to secure the sewing machine chipboard piece next to the oval where shown.
  15. Then add the title chipboard piece over top of the sewing machine and pop it up with foam tape.
  16. Finally add flowers and greenery.  All of my flowers are handmade (except the tiniest roses) rolled roses.  I used Spellbinders Spiral Blossom Four for the large roses and La La Land large Rolled Rose die for the small roses.  I brushed the tops of all the flowers with the gold paint dabber.  The leaves are cut with the Sizzix Alterations Garden Greenery die.
  17. I like to add color to my greenery and I have used Lindy's Frosty Forest Green, Gator Gumbo Olive to add a little varied color to my leaves.
  18. That's it!
I appreciate your visit to my blog!  Thanks so much.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, Maggi this is gorgeous! I love the pops of gold - so elegant and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Maggi, especially the flowers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Your feedback is important to me! I'm always happy to answer questions, just leave them in the comments section and I will respond either here or leave me your email address.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...